Check out our game preview of Duke Football’s matchup tonight against the #7 Louisville Cardinals with Derek Snyder of Big Red Louie.
We recently caught up with Derek Snyder of Big Red Louie to preview the Duke-Louisville football game. Check out what he had to say about the game below in our Q&A:
1. What is your match-up fans should look forward to seeing on Friday night?
More from Duke Football
- Duke football: Riley Leonard denied homework extension from professor
- Duke football lands in AP Top-25 after shocking rout of No. 9 Clemson
- Duke football pulls off epic field storming after upset against No. 9 Clemson
- Duke football shocks No. 9 Clemson on national television in stunning rout
- Duke football: Dabo Swinney already complaining about playing in Durham
I think it going to be interesting to see how Daniel Jones handles Louisville’s defensive pressure. There isn’t a lot of talk about how good Louisville’s defense is, but they are pretty darn good. Jones has struggled with his decision making so far this season and it will be interesting to see how well he manages that intensity on Friday. I think he has the tools to do such a thing, but we will see for sure on Friday.
2. What has led to the rise of Lamar Jackson and Louisville football?
Lamar Jackson is just on another level this year. Offseason workouts and practice have been huge for him to learn the full playbook and grow as a passer. There has been a lot of talk about how Jackson didn’t have a playbook in high school, therefore he struggled to learn the system last year. However, a full offseason with Bobby Petrino has made a huge difference in the sophomore quarterback.
3. What are Cardinals fans expectations for the game against Duke and the rest of the season? Is a college football playoff berth still possible?
I think Louisville fans are pretty comfortable with the 30-plus point favorites that the Cardinals are this Friday against Duke. Everyone is so ready to see the Cardinals back in action after a tough loss to Clemson.
In terms of the rest of the year, everyone expects the Cards to run the table. Other than Houston, there really aren’t any opponents that are at the same level as Louisville. There is still a small chance that Louisville could sneak into the playoff, but that would take a lot of outside help. I still think that a New Year’s Six Bowl game would be huge for the program as a great building block. The Cardinals will probably have Lamar Jackson for one more year after this one, therefore even if they don’t go all the way, they still would have another shot next year.
Derek Snyder is the site-expert for the Louisville Cardinals’ blog on FanSided, Big Red Louie. He graduated from the University of Louisville with a communications degree and loves watching Lamar Jackson hurdle defenders.