Reports that Duke basketball player Jabari Parker will be making an announcement on Wednesday on his future are false, according to the Chicago Tribune, Parker’s hometown newspaper.
The allegations that Parker would be holding a press conference on Wednesday came from the Oklahoman. Parker has been in Oklahoma City to accept the Wayman Tisdale Award.
Contrary to the Oklahoman’s reporting, Duke basketball associate director of sports information Matt Plizga stated that no press conference with Parker and coach Mike Krzyzewski has been scheduled.
Parker has until April 27th to announce his decision.
Last week, Parker said in an interview that he doesn’t view staying in college as a risk.
“I think there’s no risk,” Parker said. “I think the community at Duke has done a really good job of taking care of my safety and they make sure that everything is done by the playbook.”
Parker also commented on how his situation is different than many other student-athletes in his position.
“My parents, they come from different backgrounds. They don’t even value money. My situation isn’t the best, but they’re not complaining and I’ve been going on this long, so why can’t I wait another year? That’s the mindset in my head that keeps me moving.”
With that in mind, one can see that Parker might stay another year as a Blue Devil. However, the longer he waits, the more anxious the Duke community gets.
For the latest news in Duke Athletics, make sure to follow BallDurham on Facebook, Twitter, and use the app to get up to date news directly from Fansided. For email updates from BallDurham.com, you are more than welcome to fill out the form here.