Duke has released their pre-game notes and an updated depth chart ahead of their game this weekend with NC Central in the Bull City Gridiron Classic.
A few interesting things to note:
- Isaac Blakeney is named the second receiver and the third slot will be split between Max McCaffrey and Brandon Braxton, who moved back to WR after spending a year at safety.
- C.J. France is listed as the other starting linebacker beside Kelby Brown. Some chatter was that brother Kyler would get the start but veteran France seems to have earned the nod.
- Garrett Patterson beat out all the youngin’s at the other corner spot, giving Duke two redshirt senior starters on the islands. However, the backups are all freshmen led by “Neon” Breon Borders, DeVon Edwards, and camp surprise Bryon Fields.
- Corbin McCarthy beat out Anthony Young-Wiseman at the last remaining safety position, however, expect AYW to see lots of snaps against the Eagles.
- Returning kicks will be two running backs in Jela Duncan and Shaq Powell. Personally, I’m not a fan of putting Duncan back there because of his value to the running game. Jamison Crowder will be the punt returner, again, that worries me as an injury on a punt return or him taking an unnecessary cheap shot from, I don’t know, Virginia Tech, could be damaging when a guy like Shaq Powell or Ryan Smith is available.